- Age 35-54
- 136 lbs
- 5' 9"
- Palo Alto, CA
- Injury Status Recovering
- Walking distance with leg pain 2-4 miles
- Physical activity per week 4-8 hours
- Number of Surgeries None
- How much did pain interfere with your day-to-day activities in the past week? A little bit
- Have you been off work or unemployed due to low-back pain? Not at all
- Have you felt depressed or hopeless in the last 7 days? Rarely
- How much did pain interfere with your enjoyment of life in the past week? A little bit
- What best describes your pain level on average in the past week? Discomforting
- Back pain causing leg pain Yes, but most of the pain is in my back
- Chronicity 18+ Months
- Sitting without having to change position 10 minutes
- Standing without experiencing back pain 30 minutes
- Pain when rising from a seated position A little better
- Back-Pain while bending forward No pain
- Leg-Pain while bending forward Mild
- Pain while bending backward No pain
- Walk with no pain 2-3 Miles
- Sitting without back pain 10 minutes
- Standing without back pain One hour
- Back pain interfere with sleep Sometimes
- Back pain interfere with your personal care (washing, dressing etc) Sometimes
- Back pain interference with travel Sometimes
- Additional Diagnosis/Symptoms Herniated disc (bulging disc, disc protrusion)
- Additional conditions Knee-pain
I am glad I took the Gokhale Foundations Course as what I learnt there serves me as the basis for any posture throughout the day: walking, sleeping, standing, bending, sitting... I am happy I now know how I can do that without hurting myself further, and I feel better with my body as my position is changing to a healthier one.
I am still struggling from lower back pain particularly when sitting though.
I do recommend the method to everyone, in pain or not (and specially to young people!), because it gives you wisdom on which postures can hurt you and which ones act as a prevention from pain in the future, and it brings you constant awareness to your own body as well, which helps improve. I do see people and the way they sit, walk, stand, bend... differently since I took the course!
Thank you Esther for doing this important work!