- Age 55+
- 126 lbs
- 5' 6"
- White River Junction, VT 05001
- Injury Status Recovering
- Walking distance with leg pain 1 block
- Repeat injury? No
- Doctor/Care Giver Johanna Haze
- Physical activity per week 4-8 hours
- Number of Surgeries 1
- How much did pain interfere with your day-to-day activities in the past week? Quite a bit
- Have you been off work or unemployed due to low-back pain? Not at all
- Have you felt depressed or hopeless in the last 7 days? Rarely
- How much did pain interfere with your enjoyment of life in the past week? Somewhat
- What best describes your pain level on average in the past week? Discomforting
- Back pain causing leg pain Yes, most of the pain is in my leg
- Chronicity 6-18 Months
- Sitting without having to change position 1-2 Hours
- Standing without experiencing back pain 10 minutes
- Pain when rising from a seated position Much better
- Back-Pain while bending forward Mild
- Leg-Pain while bending forward No pain
- Pain while bending backward Stiff and limited motion with no pain
- Pain while lying flat on stomach No pain
- Walk with no pain 1 mile
- Sitting without back pain 2-3 hours
- Standing without back pain 10 minutes
- Back pain interfere with sleep Sometimes
- Back pain interfere with your personal care (washing, dressing etc) Not at all
- Additional Diagnosis/Symptoms Sciatica (pinched nerve, radiculopathy), Degenerative Disc Disease, Spinal Stenosis
I am retired, but generally very active. Standing and walking for longer than a few minutes still brings up severe sciatic pain in my left leg. This condition has not improved since surgery for the removal of a bone spur on Dec.12. None of the treatments have relieved the pain thus far. However I am devoted to the Gokhale method and intend to adopt the new ways for the rest of my life. I thus far have not noticed any change in walking, but I do notice that I can stand longer when at home performing common activities such as brushing teeth etc. I still need a stool to sit on when cooking but shorter episodes of standing are ok, especially in the first half of the day. Before the pain started in May of 2017 I led a most active life with all the physical activity I liked to do, including crosscountry skiing and hiking.I would love to know if there is any record of sciatic pain records relating to the Gokhale Method.
May 15. I just started pt last week, 3 p.w. Pt noticed that anteverted pelvis position as advised in the Ghokale Method seems to be contraindicated in my case. For instance pain is less when I stand with my right good leg somewhat more back than my left leg. This results in standing more in a tuck position. She also gave me a pelvis tuck exercise while laying down.
My acupunctionist also suggested this week I stretch my back into a tucked position by squatting and getting into a bow position.