- Age 55+
- 135 lbs
- 5' 8"
- San Rafael, CA
- Injury Status Recovering
- Number of Surgeries None
- Repeat injury? No
- Physical activity per week 0-4 hours
- Chronicity 18+ Months
- How much did pain interfere with your day-to-day activities in the past week? Not at all
- Have you been off work or unemployed due to low-back pain? Not at all
- Have you felt depressed or hopeless in the last 7 days? Never
- How much did pain interfere with your enjoyment of life in the past week? Not at all
- What best describes your pain level on average in the past week? Mild
- Additional Diagnosis/Symptoms Sciatica (pinched nerve, radiculopathy), Spinal Stenosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Osteoarthritis (arthritis), Scoliosis, Spondylolisthesis, Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction
I have had intermittent chronic bilateral sciatica for nearly 40 years. I have dealt with it by a twice-weekly yoga/Pilates class and walking, with occasional NSAID use. A year ago I developed acute unrelenting sciatic pain which was slightly relieved by NSAIDs, cortisone, and physical therapy. I was diagnosed with a degenerating disc and lysthesis and given a steroid epidural last summer which relieved the acute and chronic sciatic pain. Since taking the Gokhale class last month I have had a new, mild, central lower-back ache -- I assume from the new positions -- but the improvement in my posture has been noticeable.