- Age 55+
- 168 lbs
- 5' 9"
- Springfield, Missouri
- Injury Status Cured
- How much did pain interfere with your day-to-day activities in the past week? All the time
- Repeat injury? No
- Physical activity per week 8+ hours
- Number of Surgeries None
- Chronicity 18+ Months
- Have you been off work or unemployed due to low-back pain? Yes, for over a year
- Have you felt depressed or hopeless in the last 7 days? Never
- How much did pain interfere with your enjoyment of life in the past week? All the time
- What best describes your pain level on average in the past week? No pain
- Additional Diagnosis/Symptoms Sciatica (pinched nerve, radiculopathy), Osteoarthritis (arthritis), Spinal Stenosis, Herniated disc (bulging disc, disc protrusion), Facet Syndrome/Sprain, Spondylolisthesis, Scoliosis, Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction
- Additional conditions Arthrithis, Hip-pain
I do water activities 2-2 1/2 hours daily Monday - Friday including laps, deep-water aerobics, Zumba, 60 lb water-resistance weights, and lap swimming. My Fitbit tracks me at 6 miles each day. When I started deep water exercise one year ago, I was only able to dangle in deep water. As my pain decreased, I increased my activity. I don't wear a belt, and my feet don't touch the bottom during my entire workout.
The water exercise has changed my life. As an operating room nurse, I cared for multiple back pain sufferers and saw the havoc the pain and the treatments caused to my patients. I refused to take any type of pain medication, because I was aware of addiction possibilities.
The pain procedures that I received helped me to get to the point I could tolerate activity, I began walking. Walking was not the answer for me. Water exercise was the answer.